Summer STEAM Challenge: Virtual Maker Camp

christa-mcauliffe

In our end-of-the-year reflections, many of the young tinkerers mentioned realizing that engineering involves a lot of teamwork.  Collaboration is a big part of STEAM, as makers share ideas and build improvements to projects again and again.  What an important real world skill!

Mrs. Hunewell is known as “my tech friend” in our class.  Even though my students at MVCS have never met her (except virtually), she infuses my personal professional development with so much energy and light, greatly enriching my students through her influence for over ten years now.  How thankful I am to have a collaborator as we both teach our students teamwork.

Mrs. Hunewell constantly shares great ideas she comes across, and here is one she shared this week that may interest you STEAMers–virtual Maker Camp!

Maker Camp is a 6-week virtual summer camp for anyone interested in DIY, making, creating, crafting, hacking, tinkering, and discovery. Maker Camp 2015 started July 6, but it’s not too late to join in.

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 10.07.23 AM

Your parents can sign you up to participate online at home.  It’s free.  You can explore a new project every day. Get an overview about the project in the daily video playlist. Follow links to work on projects at home.  They have field trip Friday and a place to share projects that you try.  They send an e-mail letting you and your family know what supplies are needed for each week’s projects, and there are lots of connections for other things you can try.  They even show you information about real Maker Camps all around the country, in case your family ever wants to try one!

Here’s a screen shot of the upcoming week’s project.  If you try it, be sure to share your results with us all on this blog in addition to their sharing site!  Happy STEAMing!

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 9.59.33 AM

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 10.06.38 AM