More Reading Activities . . .

Another site recommended by Tracy Teare in Family Fun magazine is the Scholastic site.

She reviews saying, “An extensive site with choices galore. Meet canine pals Clifford and Gracie on the Preschool Playground, tap into Homework Hub for help with schoolwork, or join Flashlight Readers, and online book club for kids.”

The Don’t Miss item for her was “the I Spy mini site. Click the ‘make’ icon to build your own picture riddle to print or send to a pal, and learn how to create an I Spy picture with everyday stuff.”

We read a Hank Zipzer book this year, so last year’s fourth graders might particularly enjoy the Hank Zipzer connection as well.

Scholastic Site

What is the best book you have read so far this summer? Leave a comment!

4 thoughts on “More Reading Activities . . .

1. I laughed and cried reading Educating Esme by Esme Raji Codell. A diary of a teacher’s first year of teaching, it reminded me why I love teaching so much.

I have also been enjoying a little series of fairy stories with my niece, The Rainbow Fairies by Meadows. Sometimes it is nice to read something that is just totally nice and happy. Rescuing the tiny rainbow fairies from the mean Jack Frost has been perfect for hammock reading with a second grader.

2. I have just finished a book called One Thousand White Women, historical fiction set in the 1800s. It’s about a group of white people learning to live with the Cheyenne Indians in the Plains region of the United States. I love the way the author writes about nature in the area and its importance to the survival of the native people – all the joys and hardships that occur because of weather, animals, landforms. I have never been to that part of the country. But I’d love to go now!

I sure do hope kids write to you about their favorite books. I am looking for some great kids’ books to read – but there are so many to pick from I’m having a hard time making a decision. I’ll be watching your blog for recommendations from kids!

3. My favorite book so far this summer is called the Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. It talks about the need for children (and adults) to go into woods to explore, build tree forts or to just look at the beauty. It reminds us to get away from the TV and computers and to go camping or hiking.

Miss Blessing, I also went and created an “I Spy”. Students– look for it in one of the upcoming summer newsletters.

4. Hola. Don’t know if it’s the best book yet, but the only book I’ve read this summer (as yet underway) is entitled, The Day The Universe Changed, by James Burke. Mr. Burke gives a wide ranging narrative about remarkable shifts in knowledge of mankind over the centuries…everything from learning to create grids on the globe to better navigate, to shifting from the tradition of oral history to writing, to discovering how infections occur and can be cured….and plenty more. James Burke was the producer of the very popular PBS series in the ’80s, “Connections”, which linked various technological developments in medieval times to our current discoveries….how one scientific advancement led to another discovery. I am fascinated by his writing. He inspires in me the sort of wonder that I hope our children (and we) will experience this year! Having fun in Bristol, Mr. Van!