Thrive: A Blossom From a Parent’s Heart

It is a hard day.  You know that getting a spacer at the orthodontist isn’t easy.  Your sister had one, and it hurt.  You know your Father cares about every bit of your life, and you bring your heart to Him in prayer.  You start your school day by asking your classmates and teacher to pray as well, and they lift your concerns to the Lord.  Then it’s time to go for that appointment . . . .

As a parent, what does thriving look like in your dear child?  Perhaps it is a cluster of tiny, bright blue forget-me-not moments like this one.  Heather Johnson came by to pick up her daughter for a difficult orthodontist appointment last week and was flooded with young friends surrounding Ryleigh as she left, hugging her and praying over her.

Heather shared, “One of the things I take to heart as a mom is to pray without ceasing.  Our family prays and prays about the big things and the little things.  We pray in the barn, along the path, and in the car.  Prayers of thanksgiving fill our hearts and minds all through the day and are lifted to the Lord.  Even in the tiny concerns, we pray knowing that God cares and answers our prayers.   We long for our children to learn a life of prayer.  To me, one of the greatest gifts someone can give me is to ask, ‘Can I pray for you?’  There is a soul connection when we pray.

That day when I came to pick up Ryleigh, I first saw that the students had put themselves in her shoes.  They anticipated that leaving would be difficult for Ryleigh.  They put her first, which was so touching to me.  Then to see the girls encircle her in a big hug and pray over her without any fear, to hear prayers led by the Holy Spirit meant so much.  You could hear their childlike faith in their prayers.  They were not worried about eloquence, just honest prayer, talking openly and freely with their Father.

That day I left touched and moved to tears, but smiling on the inside too.

I learned from a good friend that it takes twenty-one days to make any habit stick.  To have that prayer habit begin at home and then be reinforced and reinforced all through a child’s day is such an encouragement as a parent.  It is a continuum of prayer growth when the home and school work together.   What a blessing it is to be part of this school family, with people from many churches but all of one mind in Christ, coming alongside each other, praying with each other, each family wanting to do what is right before the Lord.  There is an atmosphere of peace and joy, the joy of the Lord.”

Philippians 4:6-7  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Students living this out from rising to going to bed—a precious, thriving blossom.

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 6.15.42 AM

One thought on “Thrive: A Blossom From a Parent’s Heart

1. Thank you for this deeply encouraging post! A great example of what it means to have “faith like a child.” It was humbling to read and such a good reminder! One of my greatest weaknesses is falling into the illusion of self-sufficiency. How desperately we need our lives saturated in prayer! Thank you!