Wake Up and join the WILD READING RUMPUS!

So what do you do when your reading journal entries have gotten a bit sleepy and stale? Perhaps you’ve even resorted to describing the character’s breakfast or someone knocking at the door? Oh, dear!

STOMP! GROWL! SCREECH! YEEHAW! This week we are having a WILD READING RUMPUS to spice up our entries with new thoughts and inspiration. We started with wild colored pens. Added to that, you might hear us romping about the room with wild banshee hoots before we share our ideas. It looks like our brains are squirmingly awake again, as I’m sure you’ll notice!

Here are two of Abigail’s latest entries, and they grabbed us! Hope they grab you too.

****Here is a JAM (Just A Minute for fitness, which we use for brain breaks) about Mandie and the Midnight Journey:
1. Trunk twists with hands over ears because Mandie was in bed covering her ears.
2. Touch your toes, come up and twist, like Mandie’s mom picking up the baby.
3. Open your mouth as wide as you can and then close, like the baby screaming!
4. Touch your left foot with your right hand and switch, like Mandie was getting her clothes ready for her trip.
5. Sit in your chair and bounce. This is Mandie on the train.

***Write as many strong word choices as you can in five minutes by leafing through your book.
I read about Mandie again.
1.”The dew covered the leaves” is very descriptive.
2. “Summit of the mountain” shows great word choice.
3. “Her heart skipped a beat” tells awesomely how Mandie felt.
4. “You stupid, stupid baby! I wish you’d never been born!” was my favorite sentence from my reading tonight.
5. “Hissed” is a vivid verb for sure.

So we have WILD BRAINS again. Way to go, second and third grade writers!