Romance Points

So the followup on today’s history lesson on Shays’ Rebellion and other events leading up to the writing of the Constitution was to “pretend that you are George Washington. You must leave Mount Vernon and go to Philadelphia. Write about what you will miss.”

All of the letters were wonderful, but these three by third grade young men who shall remain nameless (except to say that Margaret, Alyssa, and Julie owe their husbands big time romance points for their outstanding modeling) left Mrs. Shedd and me in stitches all afternoon.

July 2, 1787

Dear Wife,

I am leaving Mount Vernon.  I will miss you and the children.  I will stay safe, and the Lord will give me strength.  You will always be in my heart.

Love,

George

Dear Martha,

I am leaving Mount Vernon to help my country.  I will miss the comfort of home.  You I will miss the most.  And the wonderful food.  The pets.  My children.  Everything!  I am praying for the trip that God will serve me well.

Love,

George Washington

Dear Martha,

I will miss sitting on the couch working and hugging you.  I bet my bed at home is much more comfortable than the beds in Philadelphia will be.  I will miss you.  I promise I will keep writing letters to you, Dear.

Love,

George

One thought on “Romance Points