What’s in your garden?

I am a “4-H-er”. Since my dad is a large animal veterinarian, we always had an investment in the agricultural community around us. But deeper than that, my great-grandparents on my dad’s side farmed on a mountaintop in New Jersey after immigrating to the United States from Germany, and we learned the joy of picking the perfect peach, the smell of apple blossoms in the spring, and the hunt for summer strawberries from our dear grandparents.

4-H had a significant impact on my life as I grew up here in New Hampshire. There is something so healthy about learning to garden and to care for animals. (I also sparked a love for teaching by doing demonstrations, but that is another story!)

Gloriana and I started a worm farm together last week, and now we’re noticing stuff about worms just everywhere. We also planted these nifty purple bean seeds that grow purple beans. We decided that this week we’ll watch the ants. We’ll keep you posted. : )

If you are doing some biology with your child this summer by gardening, here are some ideas to enjoy together.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac For Kids

Kids Gardening Resources

I won’t ever eat an apricot without hearing my Grandpa’s voice singing a silly song in my memory. That’s an amazingly cool thing to share with your child, isn’t it?

One thought on “What’s in your garden?

1. I spent most of my vacation this past week, up in VT with friends on their farm. I love just watching the animals (cats, dogs, chickens, goats, rabbit, ducks, horses and guinea pigs. I am like a scientist observing their behaviors and watching how they move. It is relaxing but also interesting. I also ask many questions, like why does that duck play with the chickens but this other duck does not…or why does the hunting dog not eat the rabbit? It is so much fun…hanging on a farm.